Maintaining a senior pet’s health and wellbeing often takes a little extra work. Older pets require unique care. At El Paso Animal Hospital in Derby, KS, our veterinarian will guide you on how to care for your senior pet. This begins with regular veterinary care and wellness visits at our animal hospital.
How to Care for Older Pets
When it comes to taking care of your older pets, there are some universal care tips that contribute to good health and a long life. These include the following:
- A quality pet food can be integral to a long life. This also ensures that you are giving your pet a nutritious and balanced diet. Ask our vet for recommendations. Also, limit table scraps, as these can contribute to tartar, plaque, and gum disease.
- Keep your pet active if possible. Although your pet’s mobility may be limited as it gets older, try to take it on walks or play with it. Physical activity also can help your pet maintain a healthy weight, which is important as it ages.
- Be sure that you are keeping your pet stimulated. Pets can become bored, especially when they get older. Spend quality time with your pet and provide it with toys to keep it occupied.
- Older pets often lose mobility, so ensure that your pet’s environment is comfortable. Avoid stairs and provide blankets and pillows for your pet to cushion its joints.
- Senior pets require routine veterinary visits, as they are more prone to health complications. It is important to note any behavioral changes that you see in your pet and report them to our veterinarian in Derby, KS. These behaviors can be indicative of underlying medical issues.
Visiting our vet becomes even more vital as your pet gets older. Dental care is especially important. When pets develop issues related to poor dental care, like gum disease and decay, it can impact other systems and organs in the body.
Our vet will also regularly check your pet’s skin for bumps and other issues. We may perform blood work and other diagnostic tests to ensure that your pet is healthy.
Visit Our Veterinarian in Derby, KS for Senior Pet Care
If your pet is getting older, it will require special care. At El Paso Animal Hospital in Derby, KS, our veterinarian provides wellness exams to look for any health problems in your senior pet. We will also guide you on how to care for your pet at home. Call us today to schedule an appointment.