Common household items that are poisonous to your dog
Cats and dogs are by nature very curious. Unfortunately, the quickest way they investigate something new is with their noses and tongues. This is true of pets everywhere, including the dogs of our staff here at El Paso Animal Hospital in Derby. This curiosity has led many unsuspecting pet owners to us for an emergency vet visit because their pet is showing signs of ingesting poison. Most pet owners know the basic things to keep out of reach of pets, including foods such as onions, raisins, and chocolate. What may not be as well-known is that there are some common household items that can poison your pet. Let's take a look at some of them.
Common Problem Household Items
Some things you may not consider as possibly harmful to your dog include:
- Coins: The zinc, iron, and other metals in coins can cause both liver and kidney failure if your dog happens to eat them.
- Fertilizers: You may think of these as simply animal waste, and most dogs love rolling around in the stench, but many fertilizers have added ingredients such as pest control.
- Tobacco: You may not think a dog would be interested in tobacco, but some will eat anything and this can poison them. This is also true of only the filters, so if you roll your own and have empty tubes, keep them out of reach.
Having a pet is much like having a child. If you aren't sure if something is harmful, it is best to keep it out of reach.
Emergency Vet Care in Derby
If your pet is showing signs of being poisoned, especially by vomiting, having excessive thirst, drooling more than usual, or appearing to be lethargic, bring them into the El Paso Animal Hospital in Derby. Call ahead, so we know you are on the way and bring along anything that can help us know what kind of poison we may be dealing with. When it comes to poison and your dogs, there is no time to waste. We stand ready to help your furry friend in their time of need.